Return to Cooke County Clerk Main Page
YOU MAY OBTAIN A LICENSE IN PERSON AT THE COOKE COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE:
Cooke County Courthouse
101 South Dixon, Suite 108
Gainesville, Texas 76240
- Beginning September 1, 2017, all applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- The license MUST be purchased at least 72 hours prior to, but no more than 90 days before, the date of the ceremony.
- The license expires at the end of the 90-day period immediately following the date that the license was issued if the marriage ceremony has not been conducted within that period.
- The marriage license is good in every county in the State of Texas.
- You MUST present a valid ID such as a driver's license, ID card issued by DPS, valid passport, resident, or alien card. All IDs must include photo and date of birth. Pursuant to the Texas Family Code, Chapter 2, Section 2.005, Proof of Identity and Age, birth certificates are acceptable but the applicant must also have a photo ID.
- A divorce by either party must be final 30 days prior to APPLYING for the marriage license.
- You do not need to bring witnesses to obtain the marriage license.
- There is no blood test.
Forms and Booklets:
Instructions for completing the Affidavit Of Absent Applicant
Affidavit Of Absent Applicant For Marriage License (form)
Premarital Education Handbook (English)
Premarital Education Handbook (Spanish)
AIDS-HIV Fact Sheet (English)
AIDS-HIV Fact Sheet (Spanish)
---No Personal Checks Accepted---
Marriage License fee: $82.00 CASH OR CREDIT CARD
Credit card use will add a 3% fee ($2.46).
Marriage License with a Twogether in Texas Certificate: $22.00 CASH OR CREDIT CARD
Credit card use will add a 3% fee ($0.66).
Obtaining a Certified Copy of a Marriage License:
Click here to order a Certified copy of a Marriage Certificate
To request a Certified Copy of your Marriage License, click here. Please fill out the form, and send it in with your cashier's check or money order (made payable to Cooke County Clerk) for $11.00. Please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to return your license.
TO PAY BY DEBIT/CREDIT CARD: click here to complete the one-time debit/credit card authorization form and return with your original application and a self-addressed stamped envelope. If paying by Debit/Credit card, you may fax your application and signed card authorization form to 940-668-5522.
If you need further assistance, please contact the Vital Statistics Department at 940-668-5421 or 940-668-5438.
Copies of Licenses originally obtained in other counties are not available via the Cooke County Clerk. Please contact the county where the license was originally obtained. You may also visit the Texas Department of State Health Services website to view a free Marriage License Index for the whole state of Texas.